This topic was published by Test Dummy and viewed 708 times since "". The last page revision was "".
- Topics - 10
Written by "t7gt7g", the creator of Bliight
After many days of screwing around with Gentoo on my Wii (compiling, linking, configuring), I have finally put together a beta release for everyone to try. It is installed in the same manner as Whiite, using two partitions. You absolutely must have about 1.4GB available to use it, so if you have a 2GB SD-card then keep the size of your first (homebrew-channel) partition under 512MB to have ~148MB or so left with a 68MB swap-file included.
It pretty much features what you've already come to expect from a Wii Linux distro, including a little bit more.
- Automakes and confs and builds
- distcc, Distributed C compiler
- ccache, compiler cache
- crossdev, for cross compiling over distcc, with custom ppc wrapper script.
- GCC 4.1.2
- GCC 4.3.2 (default compiler)
- GC-Linux patched libSDL
- layman, for portage overlays
- Portage (duh, doesn't come with a tree, get a snapshot or emerge --sync. It is big though, 600MB at least.)
- gEdit for your textfiles
- gHex for your binary files
- nano for the console freak in you
- snes9x with snes9express frontend
- visualboyadvance with gnomevisualboy frontend or whatnot
- FCEUltra, no frontend.
- hAtari, the sys roms are installed? (emutos, the free ones) but I don't have it configured to use them
- VICE emulators - including, xvic, x64, x128, xpet, xplus4, xcbm2, vsid, c1541, and I think petcat and cartconv are utils.
- JumpnBump (jumpnbump)
- Gnome games package - gnibbles, gnobots, glines, gnetc, mahjongg, gnomine, gnometris, gnotravex, gnotski, iagno, gtali, blackjack, same-gnome
- Scorched Earth (xscorch)
- LinCity (xlincity)
- MPlayer, don't know which version at the moment but it ran great.
- Music Player Daemon for audio, compiled with most codecs I believe.
- Gimmix and Sonata for hitting up Music Player Daemon.
- VLC Media Player, no frontend here either, same as mplayer.
- alsamixer, I think it controls the volume.
- mpg123, for mp3's while relaxin in the console.
- Totem, runs like hell for what I tried but whatever; it's there.
- Pidgin Instant Messenger, newest version as of when I installed it
- X-Chat, should be updating to the newest version shortly
- irssi-svn, svn version of irssi, from Dec. 7th or so.
- Midori, webkit (think mac safari) based lightweight browser
- cTorrent, incase for some reason you need to download a torrent.
- links-graphical, graphical links
- links-text, text based links
- lynx, because there wasn't enough broswers already.
- Remote Desktop Viewer (vinagre)
- x11vnc, for connecting to your screen from your pc
- tightvnc's vncviewer for connecting to whatever other pc
- wget, for quick file gets
- All of your basic network tools and most likely even more
All service scripts are in /etc/init.d, you can typically start, stop, and restart them by issuing the command
/etc/init.d/xdm stop(this would stop the login manager and GUI; press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a console)
- dbus, this does bluetooth stuff, you wanna leave it on or bluetooth will forsake you. It can do other things as well mind you.
- distccd, daemon for distributed compiling, useful for installing things, should be off by default
- gpm, for console mouse services, I dunno, you may need it, off by default.
- hald, this may or may not work, it's for mounting devices on insert (this doesn't work at all with usb hubs)
- mpd, music player daemon. It's very lightweight, should be on by default.
- pure-ftpd, incase you need to transfer files, it's here for you, should be configured but I don't know, off by default
- sensorbar, a service script to turn the sensorbar on/off, no longer used as wminput does the same thing on it's own.
- sshd, Secure Shell Daemon, on by default, you know what it does right?
- wminput, Scans and handles Wii Remote stuff, automatically turns on sensorbar.
- xdm, boots gdm so it can auto login you as bliight, on by default but turn off if you'd like to boot to console. (This is done for any service by using either rc-update add (or del) (runlevel can be boot, default)
- gtk2-theme-switch, for changing the look
- fme; Fluxbox Menu Editor
- aterm, I couldn't f'in read xterm
- gdm, so I can autologin; every other way sucks, seriously.
- Mirage, Image viewer
- Rox, Lightweight filesystem explorer
- gKrellm, system monitor
- gCalc, for all your calculation needs when you
- xvkbd, cause sometimes you need a bigger on-screen keyboard
- matchbox-keyboard, for all your keyboarding needs. Make it more readable, please. I gave up.
- xpdf, if you ever need to read a pdf file? I dunno, better to have than not.
- The default one that installs with xorg, T-something
Gentoo isn't really everyone's favorite distro, but it is my favorite distro. Perhaps, I can convince you of it's validity as well.
The user "Test Dummy" (@testdummy & 87535) is an account used by the admins to run tests or anonymously post on another's behalf.